Coronavirus Resources and Recommendations
The National Black Child Development Institute is committed to ensuring that parents, caregivers, educators, child care programs and advocates have access to the resources they need to support families and children during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Child care is important for children’s education and a vital resource for many of our health care workers and emergency responders who are actively assisting our friends, families and neighbors. NBCDI compiled the resources below to help educators and advocates, recognizing the challenges many are facing as we strive to serve families and children during a difficult time.
NBCDI Recommended Resources at the National Level
- Understanding Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act Medicaid and CHIP Provisions Explained
- Coronavirus Prevention and Response
- CDC Guidance: Interim Guidance for Administrators of US K-12 Schools and Child Care Programs: Plan, Prepare and Respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Child Care and Preschool Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist
- Preparing Child Care Programs for Pandemic Influenza
- No Kid Hungry: If you're feeding children and families affected by the coronavirus, we're here to help.
- Using USDA Food During a Human Pandemic Outbreak Options for Schools and Communities
- SNAP Pandemic Planning Guidelines
- How to Access Disaster Unemployment Assistance (What if I cannot work because of the pandemic?)
- Scholastic resources for homeschooling parents & educators
- Education.com has open their website to help facilitate at-home learning during the closure of schools and educational programs.
- Free Resources to Support Learning at Home
- Companies Providing Free Internet Resources
- Positive Parenting and COVID-19: 10 Tips to Help Keep the Calm at Home
- Fact sheet on leave provisions:
- The Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Summary of Key Provisions
NBCDI Recommended Resources for Educators at the State-Level (Aligned with NBCDI’s National Affiliate Network)
- Information and resources regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) and California's response
- The Governor issued an executive order to suspend standardized testing for students.
- COVID-19 Resources for Schools
- The Governor established the Colorado Emergency Childcare Collaborative, which will create a system of emergency childcare for essential workers, including healthcare and public safety workers.
District of Columbia:
- Guidance Related to COVID-19: Child Care Provider Closures and Public Funding
- What you need to know now about COVID-19 in Florida
- The Governor ordered all public elementary, secondary, and post-secondary schools to be closed by March 18 through at least March 31.
- COVID-19 - Schools Guidance: How can school officials prepare for coronavirus cases and outbreaks?
- Illinois Department of Public Health Statewide COVID-19 Hotline
- Illinois' Governor's Office of Early Childhood Development has also created a great landing page with a host of resources, including all of the program guidance across programs.
- State Department of Education Issues Enhanced Guidelines for Child Care Facilities to Prevent The Spread of COVID-19
- Child Care and Welfare COVID-19 Updates
- Coronavirus Guidance For Childcare & School Administrators
- Child Development and Care Guidance
Mississippi: Department of Education Updates and Information About COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
- COVID-19: Information for Schools and Businesses
- New Jersey Division of Family Development has posted this Emergency and Disaster Child Care Policy.
- School (PreK-12) Guidance: COVID-19
- New York State Letters to Providers
- Joint Guidance for Superintendents from the NC Department of Public Instruction and the NC Department of Health and Human Services for the Operation of School-Based Emergency Child Care during the COVID-19 School Closure
- NC Child launched this page of early childhood resources, including a Spanish-language video.
- Guidelines for Education and Child Care
- Coronavirus Pandemic Child Care Information for Providers
- Department of Human Services Releases COVID-19 Operational Recommendations for Child Care Providers
- Meals for Students
- Child Care Works Payment Modifications Due to Impacts related to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Child Care Providers: COVID-19 Daily Update
- Information from the Governor for Child Care Facilities
- Gov. Abbott Announces Protective Health and Safety Measures for Long-Term Care, Hospitals and Child Care Operations
- COVID-19 Guidance to Child Care Providers
- Child Care Guidance Letter from the Virginia Department of Social Services
- COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions: Child Care
- List of Approved Meal Service Sites as of March 26, 2020
- Child Care Resources & Recommendations
- Parent and Caretaker Resources and Recommendations
- The State of Wisconsin has a COVID-19 page with a dedicated tab on Early Learning. It includes guidance on closures, food and nutrition, resources for child care supplies, waivers for the child care subsidy program, and Head Start.
- COVID-19 Child Care Resources
- Emergency Order #6 Restricting the size of child-care settings