It is my honor and an esteemed privilege to officially launch the National Black Child Development Institute's 50th Anniversary celebration! For 50 years the National Black Child Development Institute (NBCDI) has remained committed to our mission, "to improve and advance the quality of life for Black children and families through education and advocacy." Not one of our 50 years would have been possible without the vision, commitment, passion and genius of our founder and president emerita, Ms. Evelyn K. Moore.
NBCDI is celebrating 50 years filled with major wins, significant academic gains for our children, unprecedented professional achievement throughout the diaspora, the advancement of millions of Black children and families and a sustained presence on the national education policy landscape. We have also learned valuable lessons that inform our current practices and will inform our next 50 years. Therefore, our theme, 50 Forward, is inspired by the "Sankofa*," a metaphorical symbol used by the Akan people of Ghana that expresses the importance of reaching back to knowledge gained in the past and bringing it into the present in order to make positive progress.
NBCDI is officially beginning our 50th Anniversary celebration today as we release our 50th Anniversary Champions for Children Toolkit, which we've designed to give you personal access to graphics, images, event registrations and other special tools to help you join us in celebrating our first 50 years in your local community and beyond. The toolkit includes:
- A downloadable 50th Anniversary logo
- A downloadable NBCDI 2017-2019 Impact Report
- A downloadable brochure of our 50th Anniversary sponsorship opportunities
- Access to purchase tickets for our 50th Anniversary Gala at the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, DC
- Access to purchase tickets for our 50th Anniversary Founder's Tea Honoring Evelyn K. Moore at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Washington, DC
- Access to register for our 50th Annual Conference at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Washington, DC
- Access to our Call for Proposals to present at our 50th Annual Conference in Washington, DC.
Share YOUR 50 Forward Events and Activities!
We are grateful for your support over the past 50 years and look forward to you joining in the celebration of this momentous milestone. We are eager to promote and highlight the anniversary celebrations you're hosting locally. Please share your plans in the 50 Forward Local Celebrations Database.
Tobeka G. Green
Tobeka G. Green
President and CEO
*This definition was provided by the Carter G. Woodson Center at Berea College.